Friday, August 25, 2006

Second Day

This morning was the elections for international office. Following Robert's Rules of Order, we agreed (moved, seconded, and everybody in favor saying "aye", everybody opposed saying "no") to instruct the secretary to cast one vote for the uncontested seats and those people were elected. Then we heard short speeches by the candidates for contested seats, and delegates and people holding proxies voted for those candidates. Even though there were about 2,000 people there (although not everyone was voting), they still collected the ballots in boxes and took them out and counted them manually. But it was very efficient and we got the results back very fast. I wonder if we will ever vote electronically?

After that, there were two different options for lunch. I went to the Club Leadership Luncheon. I had met the speaker the night before and, after I told him about my book, he said doing the right thing was in his talk also. So, I carried my brochure over to him during lunch and said, "Here, if you need any material, feel free to use this." He laughed heartily and I loved that. His name is Ross Mackay and he is an excellent speaker and a wise man.

After lunch, we went to the Hall of Fame, which was several hours of people and districts being presented with the awards they had earned during the year.

Then many hundreds of us loaded onto 20 buses and went down to see the Monuments by Moonlight. It was strange for me to see the new additions to the national mall. Nothing had been added in my lifetime before except a new museum. I didn't like it at first. But I realized later that even the Lincoln Memorial, which has "always been there" for me, was relatively new for our 230-year-old country and that there have been changes in all the generations. The Korean War Memorial was pretty spooky in the moonlight though. I liked the Vietnam War Memorial best, although I think the World War II Memorial more closely matched what was already there.

We had a great guide and I learned a lot. For instance, there has always been a little stone house down on Constitution Avenue near the Washington Monument and I had always wondered what that was. The guide explained that it was a canal keeper's house. When they were building the capitol, there was a canal where Constitution is now and they floated the stone in on it. The house is from that time. Very cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home