Monday, November 14, 2005

Growing

When I decided to give that speech on Saturday, I was taking a risk. I didn't have time to practice because I had just finished the speech the night before so I knew it would not be smooth. And I had never talked about that feeling before. I didn't know if my audience would understand me or if they would think I was crazy! But I just kept reminding myself what I had heard the really good speakers say: "Just let the ideas come" and "Stop holding yourself back." I was even more worried when I got there, because the one person who I was sure would like it wasn't there (he likes everything strange and deep). But I believed it was important and I knew they would tell me if it was incomprehensible. So I put everything I had into it and something amazing happened. People that I admire said to me, "That was the best speech you've ever given. There was a fire inside you." "Congratulations on reaching a new level." As I thought about it the rest of the weekend, I felt like I was changing, growing inside. It was weird and not altogether comfortable, but very exciting. A new motto, "Be afraid, but do it anyway."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home