Thursday, September 14, 2006

Choices

I am not a fan of the current trend of personality profiling as it is used by business. It's fine if you're doing some self discovery, if the results are for you alone, you don't know exactly what you want to do, and you want to see what would come easiest to you. When your company does it, they want to use it. Even if they say they don't, it's still too much of a temptation. I heard some counselors talking about the Myers-Briggs, an interesting and informative tool for individuals (read their website about how it should be used), but these counselors were saying that it would be just great if we could test everyone and match them up to the perfect job for them. Yuck! Perhaps they were joking. Mental health professionals sometimes have a strange sense of humor. I hope so. I can't think of anything more horrible than being tested at a some point and then having my career chosen for me. Even though I believe that we all have natural strengths and weaknesses, I don't think that should keep us from doing whatever we want to do. Do you think Wilbur and Orville had a natural aptitude for flying? Would a test have known that before flying was invented? It's like believing that because you have a certain personality, you can't help acting in a certain way. But you can. Actions are choices. And choices are freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home