Saturday, April 08, 2006

Visiting

My brother and I spent my first day here going to visit Rixeyville, Virginia, where our grandparents lived. We stopped at the cemetery to see them. I knew the dates were right, but it still surprised me to see how long they have been gone. It has been 20 years since we lost our grandma and 40 years since our grandpa died. It seems like it was just yesterday that we were going down to the farm to play and explore and bask in the unconditional love that grandparents give their grandchildren. I am glad we took every opportunity to be with them when they were here. I think really they're with us still.

The old farmhouse looked much the same, although they have done something to the windows that give it a different look. There is still a lot of land surrounding it, the old fishing pond and the woods are still there. But there were lots of new (newer?) houses around the old property and even housing developments here and there. Not farmers. Could people really be moving so far out and still be working in Washington, 60 miles away? I don't blame them, though, it is beautiful there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home