Sunday, February 26, 2006

Blogging 101 How to Make Money

Once you have that traffic coming, you can start making money. Sign up for the free Google Adsense program.

Google Adsense is a program that puts targeted ads on your website or blog and pays you every time someone clicks on the ad, whether they buy anything from the advertiser or not. Your share of the revenue can be anywhere from 3 cents to over a dollar or more for each click.

To target the ads, to make them specific to your web page, Google bots read your website and try to figure out what it’s about. They can only read text. It helps if they find keywords that relate to the content and not many that don’t.

You can also get money from search boxes with Adsense and by referrals (putting a sign-up button for Adsense on your site).

Because you are a writer and know lots of writers, you should also become an Amazon Associate and a Barnes & Noble Affiliate. Those programs are also free. Then you can put links to your favorite books on your site. You get paid if anyone clicks on the link and buys anything within the hour. Your books, someone else’s books, anything else they sell!

Many people are putting donation buttons on their site, saying, “If this content was helpful, please make a donation.” Anybody with an e-mail address (that’s you)
can get money from anybody else with an e-mail address through PayPal or you could set up some other payment arrangement.

You can create an e-book and sell it as a download or ship a hard copy the old fashioned way.

7 Comments:

Blogger Peg Spencer said...

Marianne - I signed up for Adsense but I have two blogs. I couldn't find a way to add a second blog. Do they automatically add it based on my email address, do you know?

Thanks

Peg

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peg - You only have to sign up with Adsense for one website or blog. Then you can put any Adsense ad on any of them.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Peg Spencer said...

Thanks, Marianne. I'm sure it will become more clear when the bots start crawling over my blog.

(Ee-yew! Bot bites! Makes me wanna scratch.)

9:56 PM  
Blogger Peg Spencer said...

I want you to know that, as of today, I have made a whopping $.31 on AdSense! That's as of my signup date of about 10 days ago.

Who says there's no such thing as something for nothing!

Once I get to $3.50 I can get a celebratory cup of mocha!

Peg

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made money from your blog! That's great! I'm reading a lot of stuff right now about how to get more people to come to your blog, but the first thing is
to tell everybody you know!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have now made $3.14 by doing absolutely nothing except signing up with Adsense.

I won't flog you with every penny I earn, but I thought it worth mentioning that my Adsense income increased by a factor of TEN in the past week!

Take heed, bloggers! Listen to Marianne, the blog queen!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind if you flog me with every penny! I love it!

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home