Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Cranky Day

I had a cranky day today. I woke up out of Nyquil-induced coma to the knowledge that I had forgotten to close the year (it's a computer thing) so that everybody else could get in and start working this morning. I did that in a hurry and then went in to more problems. All those were mostly solved by the end of the day so it was a good day. I don't mind problems. I just get cranky when people have a question or want me to do something else when I'm working on one. I want to say something like "I'm working on a serious problem so please go away and don't try to talk to me right now" in a really nice way. And I think I did that at least half the time. But other times, I could see that I didn't do it well enough. I tried to make up for it by coming back later to give them the help they asked for in my most pleasing and accomodating way. But I need to learn to acknowledge when I don't come across like I want to and not just try to make up for it later. If I had been able to do that, it wouldn't be nagging at me now. I could see it then, why couldn't I say it then? It's almost as if I was thinking that if I didn't bring it up, they might not notice or maybe they would forget.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps feeling ill was the cause of your crankiness. I have not been feeling good this week (strep throat caught from a house guest), and it makes all interactions with people much more difficult. I'm just too tired and sick to care. But that's not really an excuse, is it? Somehow I need to rise above my feeling ill, or just isolate.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Illness definitely causes crankiness. Unless I get to lie in bed with a cup of hot chocolate, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, and several wonderful books. Then I can be an angel. I am very sorry to hear about your strep throat. The perils of travel can strike even when you are not the one who left home!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home