Saturday, December 24, 2005

What Christmas Means to Me

For me, Christmas is a time to celebrate all that’s good, past, present, and future:

the love of family and friends
the fellowship of all people
a safe, warm, and beautiful world

From the past, we have memories of this time when, since we were small, people made a special effort to get together and demonstrate their love for each other and joy in life and their good will toward people everywhere.

In the present, we help to create again what was created for us. We leave judgment and disapproval alone for a season and wish everyone well. Even when I am alone at Christmas, I feel this oneness with the rest of the world and do my part to celebrate it.

For the future, we have hope. Maybe that’s why practical gifts are not the best gifts at Christmas. Although we may need something in the present, gifts at Christmas are about the future. They represent hope for a time when there is abundance, when we have not just what we need but what we want. And chief among these gifts are love and peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zul Abdullah said...

merry xmas n happy new year too

9:50 AM  
Blogger Spoke said...

I like what Homer Simpson said: " Christmas, the time of year when people from all religions celebrate the birth of Jesus..."

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really, really like what you've said here about Christmas celebrating the past, present and future. I realize I have been doing this, but unconsciously. Now I can bring that celebration into full consciousness, every year to come. Thanks, Marianne!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is among the most important information for
me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things,
The web site style is wonderful, the articles is
really great : D. Good job, cheers

Here is my blog post :: types of business insurance

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home