Monday, February 28, 2005

Practical Philosophy

At first, I didn't have any organized way to think about my new perspective nor any words to describe it. I would just see somebody acting like I had -- being headstrong about their opinions, not seeing anything from the other person's point of view, considering all opposition to be due to some character flaw or bad intentions on the other person's part -- and shake my head and think, that's not going to work. And it was easier to see, too, looking at other people, that it not only wasn't going to work but it shouldn't work, it wasn't right. But I didn't think about it in words. It was more like an aversion to some actions due to prior bad experiences and an attraction to other actions due to recent better experiences. Then one day I met a man who could talk about the things that I was only feeling. There were words! Words to describe what doesn't work and why. Words to describe what does work and why. Words gave shape and form to it. It was a whole philosophy. A practical philosophy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home