Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Management

It was strange about management though. It grew on me. I got to do cool things. I got to look into the future. And sometimes, even then, I got to see a group of people work together well and amaze themselves and everybody around them. Really, I did want to be a manager. I started reading management books. Some of them were: In Search of Excellence by Tom Peters and Robert H. Waterman, Jr., The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey, The One Minute Manager by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson, Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, and The Wisdom of Teams by Jon R. Katzenbach and Douglas K. Smith. These are good books. I learned a lot, especially what a really good workplace and good working relationships look like. But my office wasn't like that. The people I worked with didn't act like that. And I couldn't change them.

And then I found something that I could change.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also liked The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Particuarly the concept of where we allocate our time. I have the nasty habit of thinking that everything is urgent when it's not, and this impacts how much I get done, and often it is not of any great consequence in the long run.

Sue

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home