Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Good and Bad

I used to know that I was different from people who broke the law, from people who hurt other people. They were monsters, devils, inhuman. And I knew that I was different from the people who spent their entire lives doing good deeds. They were saints, angels. Although I thought I was closer to the angels than the devils, of course.

Now I think that we each have all of that inside of us. Whatever any person has done is something that we are capable of. Doing something outside the norm, bad or good, does not change you from a human being into something else. It changes the definition of a human being. In 1926, there was a leopard found by climbers on Mount Kilimanjaro at 18,000 feet, frozen. One of the climbers, Pastor Richard Reusch, took a picture of it. Nobody tried to say that it wasn't a leopard because leopards don't go to that altitude. They knew then that leopards can go to that altitude.

What makes us good is not that we are incapable of doing evil. It is that we choose not to.

Doing the Right Thing
and Achieving All Your Goals at the Same Time

www.mariannepowers.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home