Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Thought of the Day

I started thinking about what Steve Pavlina said about how he created his successful website. He said that he wrote the best articles he could, to give something of value to his readers, and he set up some links with other people. I followed a link to his site the first time. I don't think it was as simple as that to get over a million visitors a month in two years. Maybe he already knew a lot of people. But he has a point.

It's the same thing that we tell Toastmasters about how to recruit new members to their clubs. Have a good meeting. Invite a few people. In both cases, you have to have something really good, something you're proud to ask people to come and see. And a few is probably a few hundred!

I decided to start a sort of thought for the day, to see if it would be valuable for people. That made me think about where to start. Being a logical sort of person, I wanted to start at the beginning. The beginning is where we all began, when we were born. When we were perfect. So, what happened! If we are perfect when we're born, how do we lose confidence in ourselves?

When I was a kid, I knew I was bad. Even if I had never done anything wrong, which I could tell from my mother's voice I had, there was that original sin that we inherited. So, we all started out in the hole, having to work our way out. That's not good, is it? What kind of a thing is that to tell little children? But maybe it is. From the beginning, we have to work at who we are and who we are going to be. No free ride. And it's that struggle that makes us interesting and interested, seekers and thinkers. I wonder if it is the same in other cultures? What do they tell their children?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home