Saturday, March 11, 2006

Need Help with Philosopher Name

This is the opening of a speech I will be doing at a Toastmasters Speech Contest. A wonderful evaluator suggested I put in philosopher's names. But I can't pronounce Descartes, at least not consistently. If you know the name of another philosopher that most people have heard of that could take the place of Descartes, please tell me! Thanks!

Life is a journey. And we might make that journey in a straight line from beginning to end, never veering from the road that is right in front of us. No! Getting to the end the easiest way is not the point. What is the point, you say? Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? I don't know! In my youth, maybe like you, I spent a lot of time trying to figure that out. I read the philosophers:

Aristotle, Descartes, The Beatles

9 Comments:

Blogger Miz said...

Why not the ones you chose? After all, it was the great philosopher Mick Jagger who said: "You can't always get what you want, but you get what you need."

Then there was Jiminy Cricket who said: "When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true."

Follow your heart and follow the rule of 3 for comedic punch!

I found a great quote that I used for the toast at yesterday's meeting that fits here: Grasp the subject, the words will follow.
Cato the Elder (234 BC - 149 BC)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Annie G said...

Hi Marianne, well I would choose Sir Francis Bacon, because he was English and he existed in William Shakespeare's time. I don't think he liked Aristotle very much though.

He is responsible for some wonderful quotes, such as:

"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds"

"By far the best proof is experience"

Check out this web page,

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Sir_Francis_Bacon

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Socrates. Plato. Saint Thomas Aquinas. Hume. Kant.


Good luck!

Peg

8:55 PM  
Blogger Sandy Schairer said...

Marianne, Descartes is pronounced Day-CART, so write it in your cue cards phonetically so you won't forget it. And spell it the first time in case the listeners don't know the correct pronunciation either. Sandy

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks, everybody!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Sandy. Keep Descartes in and just pronounce it correctly. Those are the perfect three philosophers!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, the spacing in time and fame is very good. I will say it Day-CART if I can remember! But I'm practicing. I really liked all the other suggestions I got, too, though. They are all interesting people!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Annie G said...

I hope you win the contest Marianne. Good luck!

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, everything is going perfectly here and ofcourse
every one is sharing facts, that's truly fine, keep up writing.

Feel free to surf to my homepage cheap and reliable car insurance

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home