Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What's It About?

The question people ask me most often when they hear I have written a book is "what's it about"? The first time somebody asked me that, I honestly didn't know what to say! But I realized that it is the most important question I have to answer. And I may have less than a minute to answer it. After a few trials, I developed a quick response and put it on the cover. It's about people who work in offices and why we fight. That worked for a long time. Then somebody said to me, "Yes, I can see that right here, but what does that mean?" Ah! But by then I had been a Toastmaster for a year or two and I was able to give a fairly coherent and somewhat longer response on the spot. I can answer that question now in 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 2 minutes, or 2 hours, depending on how long I can have your attention.

But... I don't think I've ever really told the truth about it. The truth is, my book is about how we have somehow learned to misjudge each other and how we can learn to see and treat each other in a new way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home