Sunday, May 14, 2006

Looking at Different Parts

I saw my friend and fellow Toastmaster Miz last night and she gave me a clue. She said, "I didn't say you were a wimp, I said you caved." Then, after sleeping on it, I knew what had happened. We were looking at different parts.

I was thinking of the part where I told the other person that she was bugging me. I was clear and direct and sympathetic. I did that all right. To me, that was the important part. To tell someone if they are bothering you so that it doesn't become a bigger problem.

But I remember now that I did not do well on the next part. When the other person acted as if she was hurt, I wanted to make her feel better. Which is not a bad thing, but the way I did it was. It felt to me like she was acting as a child would. So, I treated her like I would treat a child, which was not the right role for me to be playing and probably not even how a parent should treat a child who is acting like that. I told her I would do something for her in return. When that didn't work, I offered to buy her something!

That hasn't happened to me in real life. People have usually taken what I say the way I intended it. Occasionally, they have gotten angry initially and I have done well with that. But I obviously need to work on this possibility, because someday someone really might react like that!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People have usually taken your words the way you intended it? Wow, you're lucky. Seems to me that mis-interpretation is a major player in many interactions. Maybe I've just been unlucky. Or unclear.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

I'm very glad that you were able to figure it out on your own and recognize the difference between the two comments.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Peg, how quickly I forget! It would have been much more accurate to say: After a lifetime of misunderstandings, in just the last few years, when I have finally started making a concerted effort to gather my thoughts and speak clearly and specifically to people when I had a concern and especially when I have pulled them aside, away from any distractions, and really concentrated on what they were saying as well, people have usually taken what I say the way I intended it. Before that, not!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home