Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Journey Intro

Besides blogging, I have been tending to business. I have started a new column to submit to the Albuquerque Tribune and practicing my speech for the Toastmasters International Speech Competition. Here is how the intro turned out:

Life is a journey. And we might make that journey in a straight line from beginning to end, never veering from the road that is right in front of us.

No! Getting to the end the easiest way is not the point. What is the point, you say? Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? I don't know! In my youth, maybe like you, I spent a lot of time trying to figure that out. I read the philosophers: Aristotle, Descartes, The Beatles. Okay, so I didn’t read all of them, they were pretty boring. But I saw that there are no sure answers to those questions. And I came to this conclusion: Whatever human beings are here for, whatever our purpose, it must have something to do with being human. And if we only try to be the best human beings that we can be, then we're doing what we should be doing. Our purpose is in this life and the way we live it.

What's all that got to do with the journey? The point of the journey, of life, is what happens along the way. If we stay on whatever path we were set on to begin with, then we stay the undeveloped beings that we began as.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The point..is what happens along the way."

I couldn't agree with you more. This very moment could be our very last. If we're always living for the future, with our eyes on some elusive prize, we miss everything. Everything.

Now is the time. "Along the way" IS the way.

I'd like to hear your whole speech; is it public?

Peg

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for asking, Peg! Yes, I would love for you to come! Info in my next post.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home