Friday, March 27, 2009

What You Said, How I Feel

Usually, if I don’t strike back right away and just listen instead, people will explain themselves. Many times, it will turn out that the insult I perceived was not intended (or maybe they heard how they sounded, too, and decided to change it). If not, I can get them to explain by telling them what I heard and maybe how it made me feel. I might say, “When you asked me if that was done yet, you sounded impatient, as if I should have had it done already. That makes me feel like you are saying I am being lazy.” If they agree that’s what they were saying, we could have an interesting conversation about that! But, if that is not what they meant, they could explain their impatience, I could explain when I can get the job done, and we can come up with a new plan if necessary.

Doing the Right Thing
and Achieving All Your Goals at the Same Time

www.mariannepowers.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home